The Disappearances Project (version 1.0)
-BRIGHTON FESTIVAL UK MAY 4-6 2013
The MAJOR MINOR PARTY (version 1.0)
-CANBERRA THEATRE CENTRE MAY 29-JUN 1 2013
The Vehicle Failed To Stop (version 1.0)
-CARRIAGEWORKS SYDNEY OCT 10-26 2013
"a kind of gut-bucket folktronica that is all the more remarkable for its exquisite lyricism"
- jocelyn clarke, the irish times
"dark ballads of the 19th century"
- romeo castellucci
"we're just returning back to earth after perhaps one of the best tracks we've heard this year.. an absolutely outstanding album"
"a distinct and involving world of sound.. with an acoustic troubadour integrity.. immensely moving"
- Drum Media
gatefold cardboard wallet + 12 page booklet
excerpts from the album Tunnel:
1. The Donkey Song (10:20) for Filippo Prestipino 1915-1956
2. Hiroshima (10:13) or, Eroescimmia, including Part II In Which the tree is watered
3. Tunnel (14:07) or, Tragedy’s Clever Parasites, or, Fung Le Morning Tomb, or, The Hero With A Thousand Hollywood Endings, or..
4. A Quick Word From Alyosha33 (2:44)
5. The Whaler (13:25) or, The Whaler, including Part II In Which the Whaler realises absolutely nothing
Paul Prestipino has an orchestra in his head. No, make that two, four, six orchestras. Maybe more. If you don't believe me, listen to the first track of his album Tunnel. "Donkey" grabs hold of your ears and pulls you into an audio landscape that is both strange and familiar. Sounds of the world we inhabit: dirt roads, cicadas, birdsong, hooves. All this with an insistent beat and melody line that make it all sound effortless. Add to this that seductive voice telling the story of a man meeting a sober Ass ("Ass" in the biblical sense, thank you very much) and having a conversation about love, life, the universe and everything.
Maybe Prestipino has been reading too much Nietzsche.
Or maybe several years of recording and condensing his misspent youth into this first album has produced something you will want to listen to over and over again.
Just what is that donkey going on about again? And what are those French schoolchildren saying? And the man in Union Square, New York City, in the days following 9/11?
It all leaves you gasping: Who is this guy?
Some facts for the fact lovers among us:
1. Prestipino was born in Perth, Western Australia.
2. He started as a drummer, moved on to multi-instrumentalist and soundtrack designer for experimental theatre.
3. He took a number of years to make Tunnel because of a deep commitment, bordering on obsession, about using his own field recordings.
4. He worked as a farmhand in Italy, castrating pigs in the mountains of Sicily in between mixing sessions for this record. He thinks that's inappropriate information for a press release.
There are layers to this Tunnel. Take your time. Start with the art by the extraordinary Lela Shields. Consider Prestipino's photographs: snow on a Sicilian road. Read the lyrics; try not to think too much. You are in good hands.
- rebecca chace, 2008
Beautiful One Day (Belvoir/version 1.0/Ilbijerri)
-BELVOIR SYDNEY NOV17 - DEC23 2012
THE DISAPPEARANCES PROJECT (version 1.0)
-JUDITH WRIGHT CENTRE for CONTEMPORARY ARTS BRISBANE JUL3-7 2012
Jack & the Beanstalk (chiari Guidi/ societas raffaello sanzio)
-Campbelltown arts centre Feb 17-19 2012
Buried City (Urban Theatre Projects/ Belvoir/ Sydney Festival)
-Belvoir SYDNEY Jan 9-Feb 5 2012
The NECKS -support set with Matt Rösner
the bakery perth Jan 26 2011
State Theatre Centre W.A. July 26-30 2011 ->
performance space/ carriageworks, sydney may 3-7 2011 ->
a distressing scenario by version 1.0
belvoir st d/s theatre, sydney, nov 26 - dec 19 2010
solo set - 1/4 Inch w/ seaworthy+matt rosner and donna hewitt
otis bar, wollongong, oct 27 2010
solo set - the basement, sydney, w/ matt ralph+friends, jul 20 2010
solo set - fremantle arts center, jul 18 2010 w/ matt rosner and rabbit island
solo set - videologue: velvet lounge, perth, jul 15 2010
solo set - rosemount hotel, perth, jun 24 2010 w/ matt rosner, adam trainer, jane harris
schoolboy play by roman paska
national theatre of portugal, lisbon, may 28-29 2010
solo set - arlene's grocery, new york, may 16 2010
solo set - ESC ATELIER, ROME, APR 28 2010